Norfolk In-care Council (NICC) ©2019 Norfolk County Council

Leaving care

If you are preparing to live on your own when you leave local authority care, your social worker should have talked with you about plans for your future well in advance. Under the Children (Leaving Care) Act, all young people aged 16+ must have a "Needs Assessment". This will help you to look at all areas of your life, as you become a young adult. As a result of your needs assessment you will work with your Social Worker and your Young Person's Adviser to agree your "Pathway Plan". (Your Young Person's Adviser will come from one of Children's Services' Community Support teams - they specialise in helping looked after young people think about and prepare for leaving care, and provide support to young people who have left). Your Pathway Plan will help to map out your future. It should be based on your hopes and ambitions and will set out the things, which need to be done (including things you will do for yourself) to achieve the aims which you set.

Your Pathway Plan can change and develop as you make progress - it will be reviewed with you at least every six months and will continue until you are 21 years old!